Jujube : chinese date
I am amazed by this little fruit : Jujube, red chinese date that I just happened to get some yesterday in my orientation grocery tour of the city Shenyang. Because my chinese guide was a woman, we spend the day in about 8 different grocery stores around here, and she showed me, with great patience, all the local stuffs to cook and to bake here by the chinese people. These jujubes got the first price of my discovery. They look like the dates I know back home, but are a bit bigger and reddish. I got a full bag of them, dried of course and got home to cook them. The guide told me all the medicine advantage to have them around the house and specially to carry some in my handbag as a snack. The chinese dates are very good for women, for the blood and for the anxiety caused by daily tasks.
I will use them as a sweetener in recipe, just like I would use a date in a recipe. They are less sweet than a date but carry a lot more ‘meat’ inside. I find them huge! Here are some of the benefices of this little jewel! :
The Chinese date or jujube, zao, is also called da zao (great date) and hong zao (red date). (Whenever dates are mentioned in Chinese traditional medicine the reference is to this fruit. Ed.)
It is a deciduous tree that can reach a height of 10 meters. The fruit is oval, and slightly rectangular, 30-50mm long. It ripens in the summer and the beginning of autumn. When ripe the surface of the fruit is yellow or deep red. The flesh is cream colored, crisp and refreshing when eaten. The flavor is slightly sweet, with a fragrant smell. Inside is a hard stone with a double point. Its nature is neither hot nor cold.
The fruit can promote vital energy, benefit the spleen, nourish the blood and refresh and calm the mind. It contains carbohydrate, protein, oil, vitamins A, B2, C, calcium, phosphorous, iron, malic acid and tartrate, etc.
1. POOR BLOOD, BLOOD DEFICIENCY, ANEMIA. Take 15 grams of black dates, 9 grams of longan pulp and 30 grams of brown sugar. Steam in water and eat both liquid and solids. Do this once a day and continue to take a daily dose over a long period.
2. NOURISHMENT AFTER CHILDBIRTH. Take 30 grams of red dates, one egg, 4 slices of fresh ginger and 30 grams of brown sugar. Cover with water, steam and serve. Do this once a day for 15-30 days.
3. WEAKNESS AND LOSS OF WEIGHT. Take 30 grams of fresh fruit or red dates. Eat them every evening for a long period until an improvement can be seen.
4. CONVALESCING FROM HEPATITUS OR TUBERCULOSIS. Take one (Chinese) soup spoon of great date tonic every day both in the morning and in the evening.
5. INSOMNIA AND INTERRUPTED SLEEP. Take 30 grams of red dates and 5 bulbs of white onions, add water and steam till cooked. Serve both liquid and solids. Eat every night before going to bed.
6. ALLERGIC PURPURA. Take 30-60 grams of red date wash clean and eat. Do this 3 times a day for 5 days.
7. FEELING OF WEAKNESS WITH SWEATING; SUPERFICIAL ASTHENIA WITH SPONTANEOUS PERSPIRATION. Take 30 grams of red date, 30 grams of root of milk vetch (Astragalus membranaceus) and 6 grams of sliced hawthorn berries. Cover with water, steam and serve, both in the morning and in the evening.
8. WEAK STOMACH AND SPLEEN LEADING TO FREQUENT STOMACH COLDNESS AND PAIN; FAECES SEMI-LIQUID WITH DIARRHEA. Take 30 grams of red date, 30 grams of huai shan and 2 slices of fresh ginger. Add water, boil till cooked then mash and serve. do this once a day f or 10 days.
9. IRRITABILITY DURING MENOPAUSE; MENOPAUSAL PARANOID STATE. Take 30 grams of great date, 15 grams of huai shan, 15 grams of wheat, 15 grams of liquorice root. Cover with water, steam and serve. Do this in the morning and again in the evening.
1. RED DATE OR GREAT DATE. Take fresh fruit and place in the sun to dry. Leave until the surface gradually changes to deep red with a gloss. This is then called red date or great date.
2. BLACK DATE. Place fresh fruit in a covered pot and steam with a little water till cooked. Remove the fruit and dry them in the air. When dry smoke them over a fire until the skin is wrinkled and black (but still with a glossy appearance). this is called black date.
3. GREAT DATE TONIC. Take 1500 grams of fresh fruit or 500 grams of red dates. Remove the stones, add water and boil, then
mash into a paste. Dissolve in 500 grams of sugar and the tonic is ready to use.
Read Full Post »